Lesson 4 - Java API Advanced Topics
Lesson 5 - HBase Schema Design Review
Lesson 6 - Working with MapReduce
- Course Materials
Slide Guide (Transcript)
Lab Environment Connection Guide
Join course discussions in the MapR Academy Community
DEV 335 - Developing Apache HBase Applications: Advanced
Targeted towards data architects and application developers who have experience with Java, the goal of this series of courses is to learn how to write HBase programs using Hadoop as a distributed NoSQL datastore. This course builds on DEV 320 and 325 - HBase Data Model and Schema Design. This is a continuation of DEV 330 - Developing HBase Applications: Basics.
This on-demand course is designed to be flexible to fit your schedule. Each lesson and quiz takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes to complete.
- Option 1: Complete the course in one session, approximately 90 to 120 minutes
- Option 2: Complete the course over a few days, 3 days of 30-45min/day
Lab activities take additional time and vary based on your system.
This course is part of the preparation for the MapR Certified HBase Developer (MCHDH) certification.
Lesson 4 - Advanced HBase Java API
- using Filters in an Application
- using Counter Increment for row transactions in an application
Lesson 5 – HBase Design Schema Review
- Explanation of Time Series application implementation
- Lab Programming a Time Series application
- Explanation of Social Application implementation
- Lab Programming a Social Application
Lesson 6 – Working with MapReduce on HBase
- How is MapReduce used on HBase?
- How to program MapReduce applications for HBase
- Lab Reading from HBase and Writing back Daily Statistics
Prerequisites for Success in the Course
Review the following prerequisites carefully and decide if you are ready to succeed in this programming-oriented course. The Instructor will move forward with lab exercises, assuming that you have mastered the skills listed below.
- Basic Linux knowledge, including familiarity with basic command-line options such a mv, cp, cd, ls, ssh, and scp
- Access to, and the ability to use, a laptop with a terminal program installed (such as terminal on the Mac, or PuTTY and WinSCP Windows)
- Beginner-to-intermediate fluency with Java or object-oriented programming in an IDE such as Eclipse
- Completion of DEV 320 – Apache HBase Data Model and Architecture
- Completion of DEV 325 – Apache HBase Schema Design
- Completion of DEV 330 – Developing Apache HBase Applications: Basics
- Completion of the on-demand course HDE 100 - Hadoop Essentials
- Completion of the on-demand course HDE 110 - MapR Distribution Essentials
- Optional: Basic Hadoop and database knowledge